Vegan Ponggal Rice by Tulsi's Vegan Kitchen
Recipe: Vegan Ponggal Rice
As part of Ponggal - the Tamil harvest/thanksgiving festival, Tulsi's Vegan Kitchen shares her mum-in-law’s recipe for cooking vegan ponggal rice by substituting dairy milk with cashew milk. Feel free to use any dairy-free milk if you prefer (the important thing is we leave the cows alone).
Portion: 5 servings
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
To soak or boil:
water for rice, jaggery/brown sugar and cashew milk
1 cup raw rice
1/4 cup split green lentils or roasted mung dal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 cardamom pods, crushed
2 tablespoons cashew nuts
1 tablespoon raisins
1 cup jaggery or brown sugar
1 cup cashew nuts for making non-dairy milk
1 cup of any dairy-free milk of your choice if you're skipping the cashew milk making process (we recommend oat barista milk)
- Soaking: Soak green lentils for 5 hours. If you're making the cashew milk, soak 1 cup of cashewnuts in hot water for 2 hours.
- Rice mixture: Wash rice and lentils/mung dal separately, roast the mung dal if using mung dal, then put the rice and lentils/mung dal together in a pot. Add 4 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil and then lower the flame and allow the rice mixture to simmer over low heat until it is well-cooked.
- Fried mixture: Lightly warm up the coconut oil in a pan and fry the cardamom pods, cashewnuts and raisins until slightly brown.
- Dissolved jaggery/sugar: Boil the jaggery or brown sugar in a half cup of water until sugar is dissolved. Sieve the mixture to remove any impurities.
- Prepare the cashew milk (skip if using ready-made dairy-free milk): Wash the soaked cashewnuts and drain the water. Then add 1 cup water and grind in a mixer-grinder until smooth and milky.
- Everything together: When the rice mixture is cooked, add the dairy-free milk, dissolved jaggery and fried mixture.
- Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the stove and serve (optional sides: with vadai and chickpeas).
If you want to serve with vadai and/or chickpeas stir-fry, check out her recipe videos below: